Monday, January 11, 2010

Way too Quentin Tarantino for me

I really think that Quentin Tarantino is a brilliant story telling genius.  I just wish I could watch his movies.

I've watched parts of Pulp Fiction, Natural Born Killers and Kill Bill.  Parts.   That's it.  Because there always comes the part where I've had to bury my head in the cushions and then wait for Doug to tell me that it's ok to look.  Only there never seems to be a time for me to look.  But that's just me, squeamish as hell.  But I have watched enough of those movies to appreciate the brilliance that is Quentin Tarantino.

So why I thought I could watch Inglourious Basterds?  Not sure.  Probably because of Brad Pitt.  And because the reviews were all "The most entertaining movie of the year" "Quentin Tarantino's most entertaining film yet".  Entertaining, they said.

And it grabbed me right from the start.  Until I had to bury my head in the pillow - oh, about 15 minutes in.  And unlike the others times I watched his movies, this time was in high definition with surround sound.  So even with my eyes closed the clarity of the sound left NOTHING to the imagination.  Not since I was 11 and watched Hitchcock's The Birds have I had worse nightmares.  15 minutes!

And based on those 15 minutes?  Bloody Brilliant!

Doug will have to watch the rest later.  And then  he can tell me the sanitized, prettier version.

No comments: