Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sudoku and the Absolute Need to Win

Doug discovered Sudoku long before I did. I love doing crossword puzzles and would confiscate that part of the paper everyday. Then when the Sudoku revolution invaded North America, Doug enlisted immediately. It’s all about numbers and without any words, so I was less than impressed. Doug, on the other hand, loved it. He tried to get me involved, and although I was having none of it, his persistence (which is a whole other story) finally paid off (i.e. I got tired of listening to him). And because he’s such a good teacher he sat down with me and explained the strategy that is Sudoku. And I have to grudgingly admit that it actually did look interesting. And our morning routine changed.

Doug created a template for Sudoku on the computer and every morning he would put in the numbers from the paper onto his template and print off two copies. The first time we did the Sudoku together it went like this:

Him: Here you go and don’t forget to use a pencil so you can erase if you have to.

Me: Mmm, thanks. Let’s see, there’s a 1 in this column and a 1 in this column so a 1 can’t go here. Mmm.

Him (staring intently): Scratch, rustle, write, scratch, rustle, write.

Me: That’s funny, I’ve never noticed how intense you get when you do this.

Him (staring intently): Uh huh. Scratch, rustle, write, scratch, rustle, write.

Me: Ok. Let’s see. Oh, Oh, a 1 HAS to go here. Yippee, I got one.

Him: (triumphantly stands up with his arms in the air) I Win!!!

Me: ????? This was a contest??? You mean to tell me this was a contest and you didn’t tell me????

Him: I win, I win, I win, hahahahaha!

Oh, it’s on baby, it’s on.


No comments: