Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Zen of Poker (part 1)

Doug taught me how to play poker. It started with him playing for fun, online, and me watching him. He finally let me try a game, all the while giving me bits of advise that sounded like this:

"Blah, blah, pot odds, blah, blah, something or other percent, blah, blah"

And, of course, I replied:

"It's ok - I use intuition - I can just tell when someone is bluffing me".

This went fine for quite a while - we would take turns playing and Helping each other out. Well, at least until I started Helping him out - something along the lines of:

"I knew that was going to happen" or "Why on earth would you have done that, couldn't you just feel that was wrong????"

Yeah, well now I play upstairs in my own office, on an entirely different site - I don't think Doug wants to chance us being in the same room or on the same table EVER.

But we did both enrol in a one day poker seminar taught by Annie Duke (the most famous woman poker player, EVER). She is amazing! This is what she says:

“Poker is about the math”.

Wow! – how amazing! Nobody has ever put it to me like that before.

What? When? You did? Of course I was listening to you, Doug.


No comments: