Tuesday, April 29, 2008

One-up-man-ship

Doug is a techie and math geek. Me, not so much. And that’s fine, we’re both cool with that. It usually means that we have the latest and greatest gadgets and computer tools ever known to man. If we have version 2.5.7.86.105.2 of any one item and version 2.5.7.86.105.3 comes out, we usually have to get it, you know, because it’s BETTER.

Because Doug is the techie in the family, and I’m not so much, he feels he should make most of the “who gets what” decisions, which is fine with me. He’ll get the latest version of Java’s PERL ARC GIS Microsoft Swanson dinner software and I don’t ever feel the need to get myself say, some new clothes.

A couple of years ago he gave me an iPod nano 8 gig (which is why I’m hip – see my very first post) for Christmas. It was great and so much better than either of our MP3 players. Of course, as soon as I opened it he took it and programmed it and loaded music and created playlists etc. etc. Once he realized how cool it was he started commenting about how maybe he should get one as well. Of course you can see the reasoning – he’s the techie – I’m not. I have something cool, he doesn’t. Ergo – he needs to get bigger and better iPod. So he does, but not the iPod nano – he got the iPod video 32 gig.

A couple of months later, my old cell phone finally broke for the last time and we both went to get me a new one. What a sleek phone I got – thin as a credit card, with camera, browser and 2 gigs of memory. And, of course, once I got it home, Doug took it and programmed it and downloaded music to it and surfed the internet with it and realized – “hey wait a minute! this is better than my phone”. Yep, it only cost him $300 to break his contract ….

Which brings me to Annie Duke.....if I go to this seminar, I'm not sure what Doug will have to do to make it up to himself....






No comments: